Villa Maroc is undeniably Essaouira’s most iconic hotel. Dating from the 18th Century, this historic riad is an oasis of peace, tucked away by the city walls on the edge of the old Medina, yet only a few minutes from the beach and the picturesque port.
With 21 rooms and suites, spread around four interconnecting riads with pretty internal patios, there are also numerous cosy nooks and salons dotted about for guests to read, relax or dine in. Typical of Essaouira’s architecture, white-washed walls contrast with azure blue painted shutters; rooms are simply but charmingly decorated in traditional style, showcasing the owners eclectic collection of Moroccan and African artefacts. Some of the larger suites have a terrace or a small salon and the sea view suites enjoy lovely views overlooking the beach and the ocean.
Service is discreet, friendly and professional, and the owners and their team are always on hand to give advice; they can arrange local activities, from spa treatments and cookery classes, to water sports and visits to local markets. A stay in Villa Maroc is a very special, authentic experience in this charming Unesco heritage town.
- 12 rooms and 9 suites with en-suite shower rooms, including 3 sea view suites and 2 family apartments
- Generous breakfast included, served on the roof terrace from 08.00 to 12.00
- A 3course set dinner Moroccan menu each evening (vegetarian option available)*
- Many small lounge areas for relaxation or for dining in, some have a fireplace for the cooler weather, plus plenty of sunny outdoor terraces and a spectacular roof terrace with beautiful views
- Wifi available throughout the riad
- Oriental spa with hammam, steam room, massage and treatment rooms*
- Separate large dining room, bar, shop and spa. Cookery classes*
- A delicious barbecue lunch is available at Les Jardins de Villa Maroc, the riad’s delightful restaurant, gardens, and sister villa, located a short drive away. Costs 250 dhs pp (includes transfers, lunch and access to the heated pool and sun loungers*
- Excellent service and friendly team who can arrange a wide range of local activities*
- The authentic atmosphere sea view suites on the roof terrace with their glorious views over the Medina rooftops and the Atlantic Ocean
- A romantic dinner in one of the riad’s cosy salons, savouring authentic Moroccan cuisine, based on the owners’ family traditional recipes
- A relaxing hammam and massage in the Oriental spa, after a busy day discovering the colourful souks, art galleries in the old Medina*
- A swim at the pool and delicious barbecue lunch at Villa Maroc’s countryside retreat*
*at extra cost, payable locally
Please note that due to the many steps between the interconnecting riads, it is not really suitable for younger children, or for anyone with walking difficulties.