Villa Maroc is without a doubt Essaouira’s most iconic hotel. Dating from the 18th century, this historic riad is an oasis of peace with commanding views.
This luxury hotel in Essaouira is tucked away by the city walls on the edge of the old Medina, yet only a few minutes from the beach and the picturesque port. There are 21 rooms and suites set around four interconnecting riads with pretty internal patios. Numerous cosy nooks and salons also enable guests to read, relax and dine around the hotel.
Outside, the white-washed walls contrast with azure blue painted shutters, typical of Essaouiran architecture. Internally the rooms are simply but charmingly decorated in traditional style, showcasing the owners’ eclectic collection of Moroccan and African artefacts. Some of the larger suites have a terrace, while the sea view suites enjoy views over the beach and the ocean.
The service is friendly and professional, and the owners and their team are always on hand to give advice. They can arrange local activities, from spa treatments and cookery classes, to water sports and visits to local markets. If you’re looking for a luxury hotel in Essaouira, a stay in Villa Maroc is a special, authentic experience in this charming UNESCO heritage town.
- There are 12 rooms and 9 suites, including 3 sea view suites and 2 family apartments. All rooms are en-suite
- The generous breakfast is included and served on the roof terrace from 08.00 to 12.00
- A 3-course Moroccan set menu is available each evening (a vegetarian option is available)*
- Wifi is available throughout the riad
- There is a spa with hammam, steam room, massage and treatment rooms*
- On-site dining room, bar, and shop.
- Cookery classes, day trips, and local shopping tours can be arranged locally*
- A barbecue lunch is available at Les Jardins de Villa Maroc, the riad’s sister restaurant, gardens, and villa, a short drive away. Costs 250 dhs pp (includes transfers, lunch and access to the heated pool and sun loungers*
- The sea-view suites on the roof terrace with glorious views over the Medina rooftops and the Atlantic Ocean
- Relaxing and dining in the many small lounge areas, outdoor terraces and roof terrace.
- A romantic dinner in one of the riad’s cosy salons, savouring authentic Moroccan cuisine, based on the owners’ traditional family recipes
- A relaxing hammam and massage in the spa*
- A swim at the pool and the delicious barbecue lunch at Villa Maroc’s countryside retreat, Les Jardins*
*at extra cost, payable locally
Please note that due to the many steps between the interconnecting riads, Villa Maroc is not really suitable for younger children, or for anyone with walking difficulties.