Villa de l’O is an intimate, boutique hotel in the very heart of Essaouira’s old Medina; if you are looking for a romantic riad by the sea on Morocco’s Atlantic coast, Villa de l’O is a perfect choice.
Dating back to the 18th Century, this beautiful riad has been cleverly converted into a stylish boutique hotel, merging French Baroque with modern an African twist, yet ensuring that many of the original features have been preserved and left intact for guests to fully appreciate the authenticity and history of this charming house.
With only 12 rooms and suites, each unique in design, it has a distinctly colonial feel with dark wood furniture, old black and white photos and antiques dotted around. Some rooms face the interior courtyard, whilst others enjoy fabulous sea views, and there is also a suite with its own private terrace and panoramic views.
A delicious breakfast is served on the spacious roof terrace, a magnificent spot to soak up the sunshine and take in the magical views over the ancient ramparts of the bustling Medina and the bay of Essaouira. In cooler months, light meals can be taken in the elegant courtyard or dining room, although if you prefer to dine out, there is also a fantastic choice of restaurants right on your doorstep.
- 12 unique rooms and suites, some with extra bed
- Beautiful roof terrace with plenty of comfy sun loungers
- 2 salons, and beautiful courtyard to relax in
- ‘Osmose’ Spa, with traditional hammam and massage room offering a range of treatments
- Unusual for small riads, Villa de l’O happily accepts children, some rooms have space for an extra bed, cot hire is available and babysitting can also be arranged
- The location; Villa de l’O is centrally located just moments from the beach, souks and restaurants in the Medina
- Fish! A visit to Essaouira’s fish market is a must, but watch out for those pesky seagulls!
- Visiting in June for the annual Gnaoua Music Festival – early bookings recommended!
- Suite L’Avel M’or – this romantic suite is located on the roof and has its own private terrace and magnificent views