With its calm and tranquil atmosphere, Riad Al Massarah, meaning ‘joy and happiness’ in Arabic, truly reflects its name. It’s also one of the few eco-friendly luxury riads in Marrakech, having earned the international accredited ‘TravelLife’ award for its commitment to sustainable tourism and high quality service.
In the renovation of this peaceful Medina oasis, Michael and Michel, the charming Anglo-French owners, have realised their dream, by creating a unique riad, decorated in a palette of calming, natural colours to maximise the sunlight, and combine traditional Moroccan craftsmanship, with an eclectic mix of comfortable retro furnishings and original art, while retaining the atmosphere of a real home.
The most striking aspect of the riad, is undoubtedly the pretty sun-dappled courtyard, with its inviting turquoise plunge pool, scented jasmin and orange trees. The magical roof terrace is the perfect place to relax on and all bedrooms are tastefully furnished with great attention to detail.
A dedicated team of friendly staff is devoted to making your stay as pleasurable and as stress-free as possible and they can arrange restorative treatments in the hammam and spa, as well as suggesting excursions for you to visit the nearby Atlas Mountains or the colourful seaside resort of Essaouira. Located in the authentic Bab Doukkala area of the Medina, Riad Al Massarah is a restful base for exploring the sights and souks of the old Medina and the new town of Gueliz.
- 6 rooms (including 3 suites, one is situated on the roof terrace)
- All rooms with en suite shower rooms, hairdryer, air-conditioning/heating
- Most rooms have a cosy fireplace or wood burning stove
- Large courtyard with plunge pool (approx. 5m x 2m), separate dining room and cosy lounge with open-fireplace and library, roof terrace sun loungers
- Small spa, with traditional hammam and massage room
- Children under 12 years are only accepted as part of an exclusive riad rental
- Everything is right on your doorstep! The riad is only a short walk to the souks, as well as the trendy designer shops, cafes and restaurants of Gueliz
- Dinner on the terrace watching the sun set, sipping a cocktail and listening to jazz wafting up from the patio, before tucking into one of Naima’s tasty Moroccan tajines
- The impeccable service and friendly staff, plus the owners invaluable advice and tips, enabling you to experience eco-friendly activities and excursions
- The riad’s eco-friendly commitment to sustainability; extending to the local seasonal food used for the meals; the use of solar power, the welfare of the staff, the support to local charities, and of course, the utmost comfort offered to guests