With its calm and tranquil atmosphere, Riad Al Massarah, meaning ‘joy and happiness’ in Arabic, truly reflects its name. This is a beautiful riad with hammam in Marrakech.
Having earned the highly accredited ‘Travel Life’ award for its commitment to sustainable tourism and high quality service, this is one of the few eco-friendly riads in Marrakech. Michael and Michel, the charming Anglo-French owners have sympathetically renovated Riad al Massarah to make it feel upmarket, yet homely. Decorated in a palette of calming, natural colours to maximise the sunlight, they have cleverly combined traditional local craftsmanship, with an eclectic mix of comfortable retro furnishings and original art.
This wonderful riad boasts a pretty sun-dappled courtyard at its centre, with inviting turquoise plunge pool, and scented jasmin and orange trees. The lovely roof terrace is also a magical place to relax on after a busy morning exploring the colourful souks.
There is a dedicated team of friendly staff devoted to making your stay as pleasurable and stress-free. The team are happy to arrange restorative hammam and spa treatments, as well as suggest excursions around Marrakech for you. Or a little further afield to the Atlas Mountains or the colourful seaside town of Essaouira.
Located in the authentic Bab Doukkala area of the Medina, Riad Al Massarah is a restful base for exploring the sights and souks of both the old city as well as the new town of Gueliz.
- There are 6 bedrooms, all with en-suite shower room, air-conditioning and heating, and a hairdryer
- Most rooms have a cosy fireplace or wood burning stove
- Large courtyard with plunge pool (approx. 5m x 2m), separate dining room and cosy lounge with open fireplace and library. There is also a charming roof terrace with sun loungers and outdoor dining area
- Small spa, with traditional hammam and massage room
- Children under 12 years are only accepted if the riad is booked for use
- The riad is just a short walk to the souks, as well as the trendy designer shops, cafes and restaurants of Gueliz, an ideal location!
- Watching the sun set from the roof terrace, whilst eating one of Naima’s tasty tajines, listening to soft jazz wafting up from the patio
- Unusually for a smaller riad in Marrakech, we love that it has a small spa and hammam to relax in
- The impeccable service and the friendly staff, plus the owners’ invaluable handy tips and advice
- The owners commitment to sustainability. Extending from the local seasonal food used for the meals, use of solar power, the welfare of the staff and support to local charities, and of course, to the utmost comfort offered to guests