For a total escape from Marrakech into the nearby Atlas Mountains, look no further than charming Douar Samra, an authentic retreat offering warm hospitality and a real taste of Berber life.
Set high above Imlil, in the heart of a traditional Berber village, this unique hideaway enjoys the most magnificent views across the valley to the surrounding Atlas Mountains. Jacqueline, Douar Samra’s vivacious owner and her friendly team, are on hand to welcome you and ensure that you make the most of your stay.
Whether you want to chill out on one of the roof terraces, soaking up the sunshine, listening to the birdsong and admiring the stunning views; or just rest in one of the shady garden nooks, breathing in the fresh mountain air, the mood here is total relaxation. For the more active and adventurous, guided walks or longer treks can be arranged locally.
When not attending to her guests, Jacqueline’s pride and joy is her organic garden, bursting with flowers and vegetables and shaded by fruit and nut trees. The fresh produce is used in the preparation of Rachida’s tasty Moroccan dishes, which are served in the conviviality of the communal, candlelit dining room.
The bedrooms are decorated in colourful, rustic Berber style; the 4 cosy rooms in the main house are lit by romantic candlelight, whilst the 3 garden rooms are larger and ideal for sharing.
A special feature is the wooden treehouse; a romantic hideaway for two, nestling amongst the trees at the far end of the gardens and offering magnificent views over the valley.[raw]
- Main House (no electricity): 4 cosy bedrooms each with small shower room/wc and fireplace. Garden House (with electricity): 3 larger rooms (suitable for 3/4 guests & families), each with small shower room/wc and fireplaces. Some rooms with private balcony or terrace, all with hairdryer and wifi
- Comfortable lounge/dining room, with cosy low cushions and open fire – Half Board is included
- Unique wooden treehouse with balcony in gardens: king-size bed (or twin beds), shower cubicle and separate wc and wood-burning stove
- Beautiful organic gardens, and plenty of terraces to soak up the panoramic views
- Guided treks, excursions and picnics arranged, as well as cookery classes
- An authentic Berber Beldi Hammam
- The amazing mountain views, towards Mount Toubkal, North Africa’s highest mountain peak and a great base for trekking
- The opportunity to immerse oneself in a slower pace of life in the midst of an authentic Berber mountain village
- Rachida’s tasty Moroccan tajines, the fresh baked bread, pancakes and home-made jams and yoghurts, and options for vegetarians
- Your own tea & coffee making facilities in your room, and the hot water bottles put in your bed at night
- Suitable for older children, who will love arriving by donkey (or by 4×4!).
- The lovely resident pets (Jules, the donkey, cats and the Shitsu dogs)
- A trip to exotic Marrakech, either for a day, or for a stay at Riad Samsara, Jacqueline’s charming home in the Medina