If you are looking for a boutique desert hotel in Morocco, Azalai Lodge in Zagora is a great base for the beginning of your adventure!
A trip to the Sahara is undoubtedly one of the highlights of a visit to Morocco. After an exhilarating drive over the magnificent Atlas Mountains, your journey takes you past the impressive kasbahs of the Draa Valley, until you eventually reach your charming desert retreat, once an ancient caravan halt and gateway to the Sahara.
Azalai Desert Lodge, is a charming and friendly boutique hotel, nestled in luxuriant gardens in the Zagora palm grove in the south of Morocco and is a perfect base for exploring the nearby desert landscapes. Bedrooms are individually designed, drawing their inspiration from 20th century travellers, such as Lawrence of Arabia and Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, and blend a stylish mix of French colonial and Moroccan furnishings.
After a day out walking in the palm grove, or exploring the local villages, you can retire to your own oasis of peace and relax by the pool, soak up the sunshine, and pamper yourself with a relaxing hammam before dining out under the stars in the gardens.
Luxury Azalai Desert Camp in the Erg Chigaga dunes
If you want to escape to the Sahara for a full desert experience, driving through spectacular scenery, trekking by camel across the sand dunes to your base camp, or sleeping out in a private tent under clear star studded skies…then a trip to Azalai’s secluded camp is well worth a visit.
This is no ordinary desert camp experience; here you will be relaxing in the comfort and luxury of your own private tent, with all the creature comforts to hand. Dining outside by candlelight watching the sunset is a once in a lifetime experience! The journey from Zagora to Erg Chigaga takes 3 hours by 4 x 4, so we recommend that you pre-book to avoid disappointment.
Features (Desert Lodge)
- There are 6 rooms and 2 suites, all with air-conditioning or fans, and en-suite bathrooms with shower or cast iron bath, hairdryer and complimentary toiletries. Laundry facilities*
- The hotel has lovely gardens with swimming pool and sun loungers. There is a croquet court and free bike hire
- There is a cosy lounge, library and games are available
- Small Spa offering hammam and massages*
- The restaurant overlooks the gardens and serves traditional, local cuisine. Accommodation is on half board basis
- Cookery classes, guided walks, camel rides, picnics and excursions can be arranged*
- Please note that alcohol is not available at the lodge, but guests are welcome to bring their own
Features (Desert Camp Tent)
- There are 4 prestige marquee tents (20m2), each has a double bed with canopy, quality bedding and mosquito net, bedside tables and small living area. Private shower, sink & wc. Half board and transfers are included
- Restaurant tent and lounge. Please note that alcohol is not available in the camp
*At extra cost
- Having a perfect base for exploring the kasbahs and palm grove oases of the Draa Valley, and of course, for venturing into the desert
- Relaxing by the pool in the shade of the palm trees, after a body massage in the Spa
- Visiting the fascinating small town of Zagora, formerly a French colonial outpost and a stop for the caravanserai to trade their wares on their way to Timbuktu, a 52 day journey by camel!
- The endless space and overwhelming silence of the desert
- The convenience of pre-arranging a unique 2 centre desert adventure, combining stays at both desert retreats
- After staying at Azalai Desert Lodge, or at their desert camp, you might be tempted to spend a few nights at Azalai Beach Cottage, their seaside retreat in the pretty, coastal town of Oualidia
- All of the retreats can be booked for exclusive use by a group of friends or families